Thursday, January 10, 2008

Free to be You and Me...

I really enjoyed this article from Wired magazine.

As someone who recently got an iPod Touch - and thus is dependent upon mooching off of free wireless networks nearby - network security is an important issue to me.

From my apartment I can view as many as 17 separate wireless networks but only two of them are not password protected. And my connectivity is sporadic at best. It's even worse at the laundromat where I'm forced to spend hours defending my clothes. Here - the Washing Well, if you're curious - there are no fewer than 22 separate wireless networks within range ONLY ONE OF WHICH IS OPEN. Talk about Tantalus...

Obviously I support the freeing of wireless networks but I think that this article evaluates the issues very thoroughly and logically.

I can only hope that my neighbors are convinced...

No comments: